Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I Could Just Scream From the Top of Mount Kilimanjaro


Yes, one could scream, but is anyone listening?  How is it, that due to technological advancements my students can speak to students in America on a single night over my lap top computer, but there are still children on the streets of Mwanza still homeless?  How is it, that a child of three still needs to be held because she contracted AIDS from her mother, and her ability to walk is delayed? 

My students sang their national anthem with pride to my students in America.  Yet why is it dangerous for individuals to swim in the second largest lake in the world?  Why is there an over abundance of food in the market, and yet daily children are rummaging through the mounds of garbage?  Why are the children’s clothes tattered and dirty?  Why are they walking alone?  Why are they not in school and why is there a fee for public schools? Why at night above the howling of dogs I can hear the screams of a woman or child? These are just of few of the many questions that cannot be ignored.
I leave Mwanza with a heavy heart, but will I really leave?

I have witnessed tremendous promise here with visionaries such as Sister Yulitha from Morning Star Secondary School and the Lumula Primary School.  What she has created for the future leaders of Tanzania is startling.  Her school is run with strict discipline out of pure love and faith to provide a brighter future for her students.  It has been an honor to be a teacher and guest at her school.  It is without certainty that I will read of a Morning Star Alumnus who will lead this country with honesty, hard work, and faith. 

I would like to extend my gratitude to Richard Sulumet, Director of the Tawawami Project, and his dedicated staff.  Your work and services that you provide in the Ilemela district lends promise to a brighter and healthier future for the orphans and the vulnerable youth and their families.  The foundation of your organization truly stands on perseverance and determination.  Tawawami is a model of the phrase. “It takes a village to raise a child.”

Additionally, I would like to express my appreciation to Father Raymond Manyanga of St. Francis Xavier Church, Nyakahoja Parish, Mwanza, who welcomed me to his country and parish and designed my assignment with Sister Yulitha.  Also, I’d like to thank him for introducing me to Johanna Sele who runs the Women’s Center in Nyshanna with vision, guidance, and love.  The Center demonstrates the empowering of women to develop independence and a better future for their children.

Thank you Mwnaza, Tanzania for opening your arms and welcoming me on the daladala, at your restaurants, to your places of worship, at your markets, on your “bumpy” roads, to your National Parks and beauty, to your realities and fears, and most importantly to your spirit!

I will be in touch………..this is not good-bye, it was just hello!
Good-bye pizza party with the women of Nyshanna Women's Center
Thank you for the hand-crafted bag.  I love it!
Back to work...so determined to succeed.
Tawawami celebratory good-bye in "grande-fashion" - I was generously gifted a Maasai traditional dress and ornaments that I was encouraged to wear.  An extremely spirited night of speeches, song, dance, and "food."  I felt quite humbled and honored.
Singing and dancing, singing and dancing, singing and dancing....
Thank you Richard, Director of Tawawami, for a magical night - my eyes may be shut, but they will continue to be open to the needs of the youth of Tawawami.
The future!

1 comment:

  1. Thank-you for the journey..I know your life has changed from this, and in a small way..so has mine. You have followed your dream and so many people have benefited. Thanks so much for sharing this journey with all of us-a hero comes in so many forms-one of them is my friend!!
    Be safe
    Welcome home

    ReplyDelete