Thursday, November 17, 2011

"Kanga Party"- or Words of Wisdom

The cloth wrap that I am wearing along with the female students is call a "kanga."  Typically worn as a skirt or a covering to protect one's clothing while doing chores or walking along a dusty road.  In the evening, it also protects one's legs from mosquitoes.

The kangas can be brightly colored, but they generally are made up of earth tone hues.  Their designs are intricate and are bordered with a Swahili proverb or message.  The messages can be of love, or caution, warning, reassurance, or just an act of self expression.

Female neighbors are known to passively feud by phrases that are written and exchanged on their kangas.  Friendships and a parent's love can be expressed on the border of a kanga.   The kangas are often used as gifts to celebrate the onset of a new school year, a marriage, or when a "point of advice" needs to be drilled in a little bit further in a subtle way.

When purchasing or selecting a kanga, one needs to be mindful of the expressions that are displayed, or you might take the risk of truly offending someone or embarrassing yourself.  Fortunately, when I was purchasing one for myself, I received assistance from an extremely patient customer who was present at the shop.  Otherwise, I was just about to purchase one that you would gift to a mourner at a funeral or another that was demanding that a neighbor leave immediately!  I often find myself the source of entertainment here in Mwanza.

The following are a few examples of messages that you may discover on a kanga:
Akiba haiozi: meaning - It is always good to save or invest for the future.

Akufukuzae hakwambii toka: a proverb used as a reminder that an individual's inner feelings are most often communicated through actions, attitude, and behavior, and less through words.


Japo kidogo chatosha kwa wapendanao: meaning - a little is enough for those in love.  It doesn't really need much to sustain a relationship.  A few words of endearment and assurance are more than enough.
Kitchen staff at Morning Star Secondary School




Not for women only!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, those Kangas are gorgeous..what a great idea..communicate through your clothing..the preschool just finished painting their Native American vests and it was the same idea-they told stories through their paintings.
    Your Kanga is beautiful. I can't wait to see it in person..can't wait to see you!
    Be safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Friend.... Just back from a bit of a birthday celebration... the BIG one... and I am catching up on the life of my dear friend in Africa and all I can say is WOW... I too am a big fan of Kangas altough I know them as pareos (french polynesian) and the men wear them there too!!!!... but like Jill I can't wait to see yours its lovely and I think art is an amazing way to communicate... sometimes better than words!!!!
    Enjoy your vacation my friend... make memories and then share them all with us.
    Big Love,
    The Blacks 3

    ReplyDelete